There are so many crazy cake creations to find on Instagram, but we’ve found one that you can roll up at home.
This week’s Monday Munchies features these Rainbow Cake Rolls, a dessert that’s filled with everybody’s favourite colour.
- 6 eggs
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ Super Moist™ White Cake mix
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- ¼ cup of water
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil
- ½ tsp of each red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple Betty Crocker™ gel food colouring
- ½ cup of powdered sugar
- 1 container Betty Crocker™ Rich & Creamy rainbow chip frosting
- 1 ½ cups of frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 packages (2.2 oz each) Betty Crocker™ Candy Shop decors rainbow chips, if desired
- Heat the oven to 350F. Line two 15x10x1-inch pans with cooking parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed until thick and lemon-coloured for about 6 minutes. Add cake mix, sour cream, water, and oil. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then switch to a medium speed for 1 minute.
- Divide batter into 6 small bowls. Pour about ¾ of a cup of batter into each bowl. Add red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple gel food colours to each bowl and mix. Pour each coloured batter into a decorating bag or resealable food-storage plastic bag and cut one corner off each. For better control with cake batter, be sure to cut a small opening on the end of each resealable bag.
- Starting with the purple batter, carefully squeeze a thin diagonal line of coloured batter onto each pan; repeating with blue, green, yellow, orange, and red to make a rainbow-striped pattern. Continue until all batter has been used and pans are equally filled. You can also leave small spaces between colours since the batter will fill in during baking.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes; you will know your creation is finished if the top springs back when touched. Meanwhile, sprinkle powdered sugar over two clean kitchen towels. Remove cakes from oven. Run metal spatula around edges of pans; carefully turn one on to each kitchen towel. Peel away parchment paper. Immediately roll up cake and towel from the narrow end. Allow cakes to cool for about 30 minutes.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix frosting and whipped topping. Mix in Betty Crocker™ Candy Shop decors rainbow chips, if desired.
- Carefully unroll cakes; spread half of the filling over each cake. Roll cakes up into logs; refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
- Cut into slices to serve up your rainbows!
We’ve got more desserts that can satisfy any sweet tooth. Follow our blog to discover more sweetness.
Recipe courtesy of: Tablespoon