Celebrate National Watermelon Day in style with this recipe that’s sure to become a summertime favourite.
Grilled watermelon might sound strange, but the resulting smoky and sweet flavour will overcome any doubts.
- 1 personal-sized watermelon, about 3lbs
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp finely grated lime zest, approx. 1 to 2 limes
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- lime wedges from zested lime, for serving
- Heat an outdoor gas grill to high, or prepare a charcoal grill for high, direct heat grilling.
- Cut and trim the end of your watermelon. Stand the watermelon on one cut end, cut in half, then cut each half in half again. Cut the quarters into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Season the watermelon by combining sugar, lime zest, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Sprinkle the sugar mixture on both sides of the watermelon slices, creating an even coating
- When the grill is hot, add the watermelon slices in a single layer and grill until warmed through and grill marks appear, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serve the grilled watermelon with lime wedges, topped with feta cheese, Greek yogurt or ice cream. Remember to let the grilled watermelon cool a bit before serving as well!
Follow our blog for more grillin’ good recipes.
Recipe courtesy of Kitchn