You’re hangin’ out and relaxing with your best buddies (and your best buds), and now it’s time to Netflix and chill with some munchies and a classic flick. Well, you’re in luck because we put together the first ever Spinach™ approved list of movies that we think would compliment our farm-to-bowl™ products perfectly. Keep reading to see if your favourite made the cut.
The Big Lebowski
- Director: Joel Coen
- Starring: Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, Philip Seymour Hoffman
- Why you should watch it with Spinach™: Jeff Bridges plays Jeff Lebowski, also known as the “Dude,” a man who loves bowling and smoking pot. When the Dude is mistaken for a mogul of the same name, he seeks vengeance for his ruined rug and enlisted his bowling pals to help him out.
- Director: Dennis Hopper
- Starring: Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Jack Nicholson
- Why you should watch it with Spinach™: Bikers Wyatt and Billy hit the road for a long adventure from California to New Orleans. On a mission to “find” America, man, they meet a bevy of characters along the way. Featuring an iconic soundtrack and a very young Jack Nicholson, it’s reported that a fair share of grass was consumed throughout filming.
Dazed and Confused
- Director: Richard Linklater
- Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Ben Affleck, Parker Posey, Anthony Rapp, Adam Goldberg, Jason London
- Why you should watch it with Spinach™: Set in 1976, the film follows several different Austin high school students as they celebrate the end of the school year by partying, driving around and hazing new freshman. Most notable is Matthew McConaughey’s performance as David Wooderson, a mostly-charming-yet-creepy pothead.
- Director: Tamara Davis
- Starring: Dave Chappelle, Jim Breuer, Tommy Chong, Willie Nelson
- Why you should watch it with Spinach™: Written by the co-creators of Chappelle's Show, Neal Brennan and Dave Chappelle, Half Bakedis your typical stoner farce. Shot in Toronto, the story of follows three friends scheming to get a friend out of jail.
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
- Director: Amy Heckerling
- Starring: Sean Penn, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Judge Reinhold, Phoebe Cates, Brian Backer, Robert Romanus, Ray Walston
- Why you should watch it with Spinach™: There are few burnout antiheros as memorable as Jeff Spicoli, played by Sean Penn, in Fast Time at Ridgemont High. This breakout film about teenagers in southern California was loosely based on Cameron Crow’s own high school experience and made Vans slip-ons the massive footwear brand they are today.
- Director: David Gordon Green
- Starring: Seth Rogen, James Franco, Gary Cole, Rosie Perez, Danny McBride
- Why you should watch it with Spinach™: A bored process server (Seth Rogen) becomes reluctant friends with his weed dealer (James Franco). When the two witness a murder, they go on the run while puffing on the super rare Pineapple Express.
Dude Where’s My Car
- Director: Danny Leiner
- Starring: Ashton Kutcher, Seann William Scott, Jennifer Garner
- Why you should watch it with Spinach™: Aptly titled, Dude Where’s My Car chronicles a day in the life of two potheads who wake up after a night of partying and cannot remember where they parked their car.
- Director: Ben Stiller
- Starring: Ben Stiller, Will Ferrell, Owen Wilson, Christine Taylor
- Why you should watch it with Spinach™: An almost washed up male model, Derek Zoolander (Ben Stiller), cluelessly becomes involved in a plot to kill the Malaysian prime minister. This one makes the cut for the perfectly hazy party scene that takes place at rival male model, Hansel’s loft.
Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle
- Director: Danny Leiner
- Starring: John Cho, Kal Penn, Neil Patrick Harris
- Why you should watch it with Spinach™: Harold and Kumar decide to hit up White Castle to satisfy their munchies. As expected, the trip quickly goes awry. The pair stumbles upon a surprise surgery, sexual propositioning, Neil Patrick Harris, cops, a cheetah and more weed, of course.
- Director: Gregg Araki
- Starring: Anna Fairs, Danny Masterson, Adam Brody, John Krasinski
- Why you should watch it with Spinach™: Jane (Anna Faris) mistakenly eats all her roommate’s cupcakes not realizing the sweets were weed-butter infused. High out of her mind, Jane sets out to replace the cupcakes in a dizzying Los Angeles.
Sign up to learn more about Spinach™, the home of Farm-to-Bowl™ products.